Thursday, April 15, 2021

DaFont = DaBomb Cont'd

 It comes that time again to do the tedious and almost disappointing task of finding a font. I say disappointing for one reason: the categories on dafont.com highlight the worst bunch, which always makes it much harder for me to look for fonts. However, I went in with two ideas:

The first idea was to just go with a simple sans serif font, like in the poster for Room


My second idea was to go with a sketch-like, etch-like, child's handwriting font like in the poster for Orphan

Once I started looking through the fonts for both categories, I narrowed my search down to a few options:



I also knew that I really wanted to be able to mimic a classic movie poster and find that really skinny, tall font that is used at the bottom for credits. Thankfully, the research process was not too extensive as I soon came across this Quora forum that detailed exactly what font I had in mind: Univers 39 Ultra Thin Condensed

Testing them out

Personally, I don't think I could have made a sure decision just by looking at the pages for each font. I had to see it for myself. I downloaded each font and quickly put the title on the poster shot, going between fonts to see which one I liked the most. For some reason, as much as I thought that this idea would be the one, I hated the handwriting-type fonts. I could not get them to look right or to emit the vibe I wanted to. But when I got to the sans serif font, I tweaked a bit of it and loved the outcome. I am proud to present the final poster for Teddy:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project

 I am happy to present, the final project for Teddy: Click here for trailer #1 Click here for trailer #2 Click here for the Instagram page o...