Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Determining Target Audience, and What That Comes With

 I realized as I was editing that I need to narrow down on how long I really want my trailers to be, and who I want them to be for. I am honestly astonished at myself for not researching this sooner, now realizing that this is one of those hidden keys to creating a good piece.

Beginning with the Target Audience

Of course, it could begin with who I want my audience to be: people like me! I love watching psychological thrillers, so naturally, I assume that many who fit the same demographic as me would as well.

  • Gen Z - ages 6-24
  • more mature, narrowing the age down to 16-24
  • short attention span
  • Female, but I wouldn't exclude males or nonbinary people from this film
  • Philosophical interests
  • Enjoys other genres like horror, sci-fi, dystopian, suspense

However, this has some contradictions with who the main target audience is for psychological thrillers in general.
  • some can 18+ due to disturbing images and topics
  • The average viewer of 35-50 years old
  • Equal amongst socioeconomic classes
  • Most avid lovers are females over 35
Now to find a middle ground of both categories, my intended target audience would be:
  • ages 16-35
  • enjoys other genres like horror, sci-fi, suspense, and even action
  • more aimed towards females as there is less action within the film

What this Means

I think the most notable consequence of this target audience would be the attention span. Generation Z is infamous for having one of the shortest attention spans. In relation to my project, this could be a major obstacle. One of the main ways to create suspense within a film is to play with speed, typically going extremely slow in the beginning and then riling up to a climax, a technique I was hoping to incorporate into one of my trailers. However, this may not bode well with the short attention span of my audience. I think the main way to counteract this would be by ensuring that the trailers themselves are not too long as well, allowing for much of the film's details to remain unhidden, creating that suspense while satisfying an insatiable audience. Typically, trailers range from around 1:30 to 2:30 in length, so my goal would be to not exceed 2 minutes in either trailer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project

 I am happy to present, the final project for Teddy: Click here for trailer #1 Click here for trailer #2 Click here for the Instagram page o...